Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out (808's Neon Mix)

This has always been a favorite 80's track of mine, since it's USA release in 1982. Joe Jackson was a singer from England, who tried his had at a variety of styles ranging between rock, new wave, jazz, swing, and classical music. This was of course his most remembered song, a delightful piece of new wave synthpop from the album "Night and Day" which went to #6 in the USA.

During my stint as a DJ at St. Ivan's Infirmary, a virtual 80's dance club in Second Life, I collected a number of rare and underground 80's mixes, and one that always stuck in my mind was a mix of this song by a Brazilian remixer known as DJ Tony. It ended up being a staple of all my DJ gigs, and recently, when I felt inspired to do a re-edit of his mix, I decided to try to cook up my own mix of this song.

For this mix, I used only the album version of the song, but with some serious modifications. For example, I was able to take the beat and bass loop from the beginning of the song, and use it against the rest of the song to create an acapella mix, and about three mixes of the song, one of them an instrumental, without the beats present. Using these elements, and a bit of airplane flanging, I think I have managed to capture the authentic 80's extended remix feel that I think this song deserves.

This mix clocks in at 6 minutes and 11 seconds.



Listen here

No comments:

Post a Comment